Lunch-Box Chicken Soup
A friend gave me this recipe, and I tweaked a few things to make it healthier. It’s so delicious and quite easy to make! I use it for family gatherings, church functions, care packages...just about anything. For shortcuts, I sometimes replace the celery and carrots with 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. The prepackaged rice saves time, too, so you can have the soup ready and waiting even when the kids are busy with activities. —Jean Ann Fairchild, Shelby, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 package (8.8 ounces) ready-to-serve roasted chicken-flavored rice
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables; cook and stir until carrots are crisp-tender.
- In a bowl, whisk flour and broth until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 5-6 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; heat through, stirring occasionally (do not allow to boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 224 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 741mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 15g protein.
Originally published as Healthy chicken rice soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019