- 1 turkey (14 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 turkey-size oven roasting bag
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small potato, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground allspice, ginger and mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Pat turkey dry. Place flour in oven bag and shake to coat. Place the bag in a roasting pan; add celery, carrots, onion and potato. Combine the garlic, sage, thyme, pepper, allspice, ginger, mustard and cayenne; sprinkle 5 teaspoons over vegetables.
- Carefully loosen skin of turkey. Rub half of the remaining seasoning mixture under the skin; rub remaining mixture inside cavity. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together.
- Place turkey, breast side up, over vegetables; close bag with nylon tie. Cut six 1/2-in. slits in top of bag. Bake at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180°.
- Remove turkey to a serving platter and keep warm. Let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Strain contents of oven bag into a small saucepan; skim fat. Discard vegetables. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir into cooking juices. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews forLow-Sodium Herb-Rubbed Turkey
"I tried this yesterday and it was wonderful-thank you so much"
"I love using the bags. It keeps the turkey so moist and I've been adding these spices for years."