- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and thyme. Microwave, uncovered, on high 1-2 minutes or until bubbly; cover and let stand until cooled to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with reserved milk mixture. Stir in lemon juice and peel.
- Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bread. Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Reviews forLemon-Thyme Tea Bread
"I wasn't sure about this bread myself, but my husband and son loved it. I'll keep the recipe and try it again sometime."
"I totally LOVE this bread. It's my go-to morning bread, because I can keep the ingredients always on hand. I like that it's not too lemony, not too sweet, but moist and sweet-milky. I always add a full tablespoon of dried thyme--I think it helps cut the lemony sweetness a bit. I have also never added the glaze. It's already moist and sweet enough."
"I must be losing my "touch" because I found this very disappointing. My oven is spot on the temperature but after 40 minutes, a toothpick came out coated with batter but the edges of the cake were starting to pull away from the sides. Gave it another 5 mins and then another 3. That would account for how dry it is but it also does not have much flavor. Only the glaze has any flavor and I didn't really care for it when I tasted it before I put it on the bread. I kept reading and rereading the ingredients and instructions before and after making it and I know I followed them to a "T". I am really disappointed as I was so looking forward to a piece with a cup of tea."
"I love it I'm not a cake person very selected ones"
"The flavor of this "bread" is so wonderful & bright! Absolutely delicious & not too sweet, although it's definitely a dessert type bread. The glaze is tangy & adds just the right amount of sweet. It is moist but seems a little crumbly, so it may need a little oil or applesauce(?). I followed the recipe exactly with the exception being that I made four mini loafs (approx 3X5) instead of one large. They baked perfect & everyone who tasted it loved it! Great recipe & great to give as a gift or bring to a party."
"This bread is delicious--a family favorite, and it's great to give as a gift!"
"At first I thought that the flavors in this bread would be weird, but that was what made me want to try it. I was pleasantly surprised! The lemon and thyme went together really well. The bread was very moist and flavorful. I would recommend baking it for about 50 minutes, mine was still a little unbaked in the middle. It also was a little crumbly, when I inverted it from the pan, the bread split in half and crumbled when cut. Overall, great bread! Don't be driven away from the different combination of flavors."
"I did not like the flavor of this. I was hoping for a nice light, lemony bread, but it tasted very odd with the thyme in it."