Lemon Mango Kanafeh
Several years ago I came upon a little neighborhood restaurant making the most incredible Turkish food I'd ever seen or tasted. I was completely blown away by the dessert and had to learn how to make it. —Jodi Taffel, Altadena, California
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded phyllo dough (kataifi), thawed
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup mango nectar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled mango
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 cup seedless red grapes, halved
- Confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place a greased 9-in. springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap foil securely around pan. Place on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk the butter, cream, honey, cinnamon and vanilla. Gently pull phyllo apart and add to bowl; toss to coat. Press onto bottom and up the sides of prepared pan. Bake until golden brown, 40-45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Remove foil.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, whisk egg yolks, sugar, mango nectar, lemon juice, cornstarch and zest until blended. Add butter; cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture comes just to a boil and is thick enough to coat a metal spoon.
- Remove from heat immediately. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a small bowl. Stir in mango; cool. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate until cold.
- Spoon filling into crust. Garnish with mandarin oranges and grapes. Remove rim from pan. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 424 calories, 27g fat (16g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Lemon Mango Kunefe in Taste of Home June/July 2019