Juicy Watermelon Salad
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 8 cups cubed seedless watermelon (about 1 medium)
- 1 small red onion, cut into rings
- 1 cup coarsely chopped macadamia nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 cup fresh arugula or baby spinach
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinaigrette
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- Watermelon slices, optional
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon and onion; cover and refrigerate until cold, about 30 minutes. Just before serving, add macadamia nuts and arugula to watermelon mixture. In a small bowl, whisk vinaigrette and oil; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve over sliced watermelon, if desired. Sprinkle with cheese.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 232 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 27, 2016
anetLite House vinaigrette is wonderful with this salad.
Aug 1, 2015
This was soooo delicious, using the watermelon that I got at the Farmer's Market. Fresh homegrown fruit and vegetables are my faves. I will definitely be making this again.Also, to help Robin23, Kraft & other brands make all kinds of different balsamic vinaigrette s. They are located right in with the other salad dressing. Or, look up a recipe to make your very own. Good luck!
Jul 1, 2015
I wanted to answer Robin23's question. There is a balsamic Vinaigrette. I have found this vingerette by different brand names, in the store. You will need to go to a Superstore such as HEB, Kroger's, Wal-Mart, Whole Foods Markets, or equivalent where you live, to find it. Hopes this helps. Lise
Jul 1, 2015
a bit confused about "vinaigrette" - do you mean "vinegar"?
Jun 28, 2013
Very quick and easy. Replaced the nuts with raisins and that added another layer of sweetness. Also added fresh parsley. Even my husband liked it. A great way to dress up watermelon!
Oct 27, 2012
Sooo good! Everyone loves this recipe.
Sep 3, 2012
Another very easy and delicious recipe. Very refreshing and something different to serve company. None of the ingredients are unusual so even fussy eaters will enjoy this one.
Sep 2, 2012
It is surprising to put the cheese and onions with watermelon, but soooo good! I served as a side at a party, was a big hit!
Jul 9, 2012
Jun 2, 2012