Tangy Watermelon Salad
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling
- 14 cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon and onions. In a small bowl, combine the orange juice, vinegar, honey, red pepper and seasonings; slowly whisk in the oil.
- Pour over watermelon mixture; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve with a slotted spoon.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 147 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 26, 2015
I thought the combination of ingredients was a little odd, but this got great reviews so I tried it for a potluck lunch. I followed the directions and did let it sit overnight as suggested for the flavors to blend. We did not think the combination of watermelon, oil, onions, orange juice, pepper, etc really worked. It was not a big hit.
May 26, 2015
Just made this for our Memorial Day cookout, and it was delicious! I also let it sit overnight for the flavors to blend, really good and refreshing, also a nice alternative to the usual macaroni salad, potato salad sides. Will be making this more often!
Sep 10, 2014
Absolutely delicious - a real hit! Left it in the fridge overnight, and then drew off a lot of the liquid before serving. Can't wait to make again.
Aug 10, 2014
This is very good! Make sure you let it refrigerate longer than the two hours it calls for. Not so tangy unless it chills for several hours, but so good with the onions!
Aug 5, 2014
I didn't try to measure out the watermelon; I just threw it all in a large roasting pan as I was making it for a large group. I sprinkled punk Himalayan salt over the watermelonI added celery & cucumber, and I think next time I would add clementines as well. I think I'd also ditch the veg oil part of the dressing and add either some lemon or lime juice. Even so, it was a big hit!
Jul 21, 2014
Sounds delicious, tho 14 cups sounds like a strange measurement!
Jul 20, 2014
I made this for a family picnic. It was delicious. I was glad there were leftovers to bring home so I can keep eating it!!!
Jul 20, 2014
this would also b delicious with just a little jalapeno, some cilantro, and fresh lime juice.
Jun 14, 2014
Sep 25, 2013
This is a great twist on just plain watermelon. My whole family loved it!