Jalapeno Popper Mexican Street Corn
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 ears fresh sweet corn
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup media crema table cream or sour cream thinned with 1 teaspoon 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Ground chipotle pepper or chili powder
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- Husk corn. Rub corn and jalapenos with 2 tablespoons canola oil. Grill, covered, on a greased grill rack over medium-high direct heat until lightly charred on all sides, 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat. When jalapenos are cool enough to handle, remove skin, seeds and membranes; chop finely. Set aside.
- Sprinkle corn with 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a small skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add panko; cook and stir until starting to brown. Add paprika and oregano; cook until crumbs are toasted and fragrant.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, crema, lime juice and remaining salt; spread over corn. Sprinkle with bread crumbs, jalapenos, chipotle powder and, if desired, cilantro.
Nutrition Facts1 ear of corn: 339 calories, 26g fat (9g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 568mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Aug 29, 2017
I followed this recipe exactly and it was delicious!! My family loved it too.
Jul 9, 2017
We don't have a grill so I broiled my corn, but otherwise followed the recipe to the letter. I really love street corn and this is a fun twist on that. I love the addition of the cream cheese and the crunchy panko! My husband and son loved the spice level but I did cut back on the jalapenos for my youngest two who don't like spicy food as much.
May 23, 2017
Wow! What a neat way to jazz up corn on the cob! I did things a bit differently since there is just one of me, and I have no grill. I just used one ear of corn, cut down the ingredients, used jarred jalapeno slices, opted for the sour cream in lieu of media crema, and used the broiler In my oven cooking the corn. I don't think I will ever eat just plain corn again. Thumbs up from one field editor to another !!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.