Jalapeno Poppers with Lime Cilantro Dip
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes2 dozen (2 cups dip)
- 12 jalapeno peppers
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- LIME CILANTRO DIP:
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Cut jalapenos in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place jalapenos on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 4-in. from the heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until lightly blistered. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in onions. Spoon into pepper halves.
- Place the flour, egg whites and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat jalapenos with flour, then dip in egg whites and coat with crumbs. Place on a greased baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For dip, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Serve with poppers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 popper with 4 teaspoons dip: 119 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 7, 2018
These were delicious but they took way too long. Rolling them in the flour/egg white/Panko was a big mess and required more than the recipe called for. I wouldn’t make again just because it was such a pain and took so long...abut they were really tasty.
Dec 27, 2017
Great addition to our popper repertoire. Lime and cilantro dip gave them a nice cool flavor. The downside was these seemed to take a bit longer than I wanted to assemble.
Feb 7, 2015
I was looking for a dip recipe for frozen poppers I already had. This was perfect! Loved it! Anything with cilantro is a winner in my book! Will save the recipe to make the poppers next time too.
Dec 26, 2013
Very good appetizer! My guests loved them, they had a nice crunch to them. The dip is very good and could be used with sandwiches or burgers as well.
Jul 11, 2013
Made this for the 4th of July. Everyone loved them. The dip was a big hit too. I'll be making these again.
Jan 25, 2013
Very good recipe. The dipping sauce was what made this. It was super good. I had a turkey burger and used the sauce on it. Great.They're a bit messy to make and the times were not close to the real time I had. Making them alone took about an hour to prepare. Washing and chopping takes longer than most think. I baked them for 25 minutes and they browned just right. My family loved them.
Jan 24, 2013
Hot but good!
Jan 15, 2013
I just tested this and I'm just sayin' it's a keeper! The egg whites really change up the familiar popper recipe's that we're used to. I added a few red pepper flakes to the dip tho...we like a little heat! I'm adding this to my get together menu.