Italian Sausage & Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
Flavor-packed sausage and sun-dried tomatoes are sure to liven up any simple pasta dish. I have a feeling that once you've tried it, it'll become a family favorite!—Dawn Singleton, Eighty Four, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 2/3 cup julienned soft sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 package (9 ounces) fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup shredded Romano cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup crushed seasoned salad croutons
- Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook sausage over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes, breaking into crumbles. Stir in tomatoes, garlic, fennel seed and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is almost evaporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in cream; cook 1 minute longer. Add spinach; cook and stir just until spinach is wilted.
- Drain pasta; add to sausage mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Sprinkle with crushed croutons and remaining cheese.
Editor’s Note: This recipe was tested with sun-dried tomatoes that are ready to use without soaking. When using other sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), cover with boiling water and let stand until soft. Drain before using.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 617 calories, 33g fat (13g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 949mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 5g fiber), 24g protein.
Sep 5, 2013
Delish! Cut the recipe in half (but not the garlic!) and increased the cream a bit to make a little more sauce. Other than my picky eater, the family loved it. Thanks for sharing.