Italian Pork Chops
Skillet-browned chops are simmered with tomatoes, mushrooms and green pepper in this tasty treatment for pork. It's easy to prepare, especially if you buy the mushrooms already sliced. —Adeline Piscitelli of Sayreville, New York
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 6 bone-in pork loin chops (6 ounces each and 3/4 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Italian diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large green pepper, julienned
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork chops in batches on both sides in oil; remove from skillet. Add the onion, mushrooms and garlic; saute for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, salt, oregano, basil and pepper.
- Return pork chops to skillet; arrange green pepper between the chops. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 237 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 573mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Italian Pork Chops in Light & Tasty June/July 2002