Israeli Couscous & Chicken Sausage Skillet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked spinach and feta chicken sausage links or flavor of your choice, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/4 cups uncooked pearl (Israeli) couscous
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onion and celery; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in broth, water and pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 10-12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in parsley. If desired, sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 343 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 694mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 21, 2017
My husband could not stop complimenting this dish. I used chicken sausage with red and green peppers and added fresh spinach after the couscous. Great one pan dinner, highly recommend.