Simple Sesame Chicken with Couscous
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup reduced-fat Asian toasted sesame salad dressing, divided
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Chopped peanuts, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add coleslaw mix; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or just until tender. Add green onions, 2 tablespoons dressing and couscous; heat through. Remove couscous from pan; keep warm.
- In same skillet, add chicken and remaining dressing; cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Serve over couscous; top with cilantro and, if desired, peanuts.
Nutrition Facts1 cup couscous with 1/2 cup chicken mixture (calculated without peanuts): 320 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 2, 2018
This was really fast and tasty. We think it would be just as tasty cold as it was hot (we'll find out if we are correct tomorrow at lunch!) We also think you could add so many things - broccoli, more carrots, mandarin oranges, or dried cranberries, etc...
Nov 23, 2017
Very easy and tasty. I used quinoa instead of the couscous since that's what I had in the cupboard. Also added chopped broccoli and carrots to increase the veggie content.
Feb 24, 2015
VERY easy to make, and it's tasty. I need to add more than two cups of coleslaw mix next time, but I'll be making this again.