Horseradish Pot Roast
We tasted a dish similar to this while at a horseradish festival in Illinois. I like to serve it over noodles. The recipe is easily adaptable for stovetop cooking, too. —Barbara White, Katy, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 jar (6 to 6-1/2 ounces) prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Place roast in a 6-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top roast with onions. In a small bowl, combine next five ingredients; pour over roast and onions. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-8 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly and shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mix flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return beef to the slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 15-30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with noodles. If desired, top with minced thyme.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without noodles): 320 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Austrian Pot Roast in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.