Horseradish Pot Roast
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 8-1/4 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 jar (6 to 6-1/2 ounces) prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked egg noodles
- Minced fresh thyme, optional
- Place roast in a 6-qt. slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top roast with onions. In a small bowl, combine next five ingredients; pour over roast and onions. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 7-8 hours.
- Remove roast; cool slightly and shred with two forks. Skim fat from cooking juices. Mix flour and water until smooth; gradually stir into juices. Return beef to the slow cooker. Cook, covered, on high 15-30 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Serve with noodles. If desired, top with minced thyme.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without noodles): 320 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 395mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 31g protein.
Apr 26, 2019
Total fail for me. I followed instructions to a T. I at least ate my serving. My husband ate half of his. Threw the rest in the trash. Not much horseradish flavor at all. And we love horseradish! Tried to add a little more horseradish to what I had on my plate and that didnt help. Sorry. Wont be fixing this again.
Mar 18, 2019
I doubled the pepper and tripled the garlic. We loved it.
Mar 12, 2019
Made this for supper last night and it was delicious! I made as directed except I didn't add the sugar. I used creamy horseradish sauce. The horseradish sauce gave it a nice zesty taste but was not overpowering.