BBQ Beef Brisket with Horseradish Cream
Chipotle peppers give a nice hint of heat to tender slices of oven-braised brisket. The cool, creamy horseradish sauce also adds a bit of zip.—Janine Talley, Orlando, Florida
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes10 servings (1-1/4 cups horseradish cream)
- 1 fresh beef brisket (4 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 bottle (18 ounces) barbecue sauce
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 cup chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- HORSERADISH CREAM:
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sprinkle brisket with pepper and salt. In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown meat in oil on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute onions until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Return brisket to the pan. Add the broth, barbecue sauce, thyme and chipotle peppers. Bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream, sour cream, vinegar, horseradish and salt until thickened. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter. Skim fat from cooking juices; discard thyme sprigs. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with cooking juices and horseradish cream.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 404 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1077mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Originally published as Oven Braised BBQ Beef Brisket with Horseradish Cream in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010