Horseradish-Encrusted Beef Tenderloin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 45 min. + standing
- 1 whole garlic bulb
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 beef tenderloin roast (3 pounds)
- Remove papery outer skin from garlic (do not peel or separate cloves). Cut top off garlic bulb; brush with oil. Wrap in heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° until softened, 30-35 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Squeeze softened garlic into a small bowl; stir in the horseradish, salt, basil, thyme and pepper. Add bread crumbs; toss to coat. Spread over top of tenderloin. Place on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Bake at 400° until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°), 45-55 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition Facts5 ounces cooked beef: 268 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 75mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 37g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 26, 2014
Made this for Christmas dinner and it was very well received! I roasted the garlic earlier in the day. When cool, I used the side of a wide blade knife to mash the roasted garlic into a paste, mixed with the horseradish & breadcrumbs and set aside. Took meat out of the frig 30 minutes prior to roasting. Followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfectly. Will definitely make this again; easy and elegant!