Sweet and Sour Brisket
Here’s one dish that never gets old in our house. Tender and juicy, with a great sweet and sour twist. We’d eat it every night if we could! —Jolie Albertazzie, Moreno Valley, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 pounds)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, raisins, brown sugar, lemon juice and garlic. Pour half into a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker coated with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Transfer to slow cooker. Top with remaining tomato mixture. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 8-10 hours.
- Remove brisket to a serving platter and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve with tomato mixture.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts4 ounces cooked beef with 1/3 cup sauce: 248 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Brisket in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.