Sweet and Sour Ham
I CAME UP with this recipe several summers ago. I had a ham in the refrigerator and was trying to avoid heating up the kitchen by preparing it in the oven. The stovetop was the solution. Ever since, this recipe has been my standby for when I have leftover ham. Served over rice, it's delicious! —Diane Widmer Blue Island, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2/3 cup chopped green or sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/3 cup of juice; set pineapple aside. In a large bowl, combine the reserved juice, ketchup, soy sauce and sugar. Add ham and green pepper.
- In a large skillet, cook and stir ham mixture over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until pepper is tender. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in pineapple and heat through. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 320 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 2534mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 27g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 fruit, 1 vegetable.
Mar 10, 2018
I found this recipe several years ago when looking for recipes that use leftover ham. This one was a keeper and I now look forward to having plenty of ham leftover.