Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
- Place rice in a blender; cover and process 2-3 minutes or until very fine. Transfer to a large bowl; add almonds, cinnamon stick, lime zest and hot water. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 8 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer rice mixture to a blender; cover and process 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Add sugar; process until sugar is dissolved.
- Place a strainer over a pitcher; line with double-layered cheesecloth. Pour rice mixture over cheesecloth; using a ladle, press mixture through strainer.
- Stir in cold water. Serve over ice. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with lime wedges.
Apr 26, 2017
Delicious! The lime was an addition I'd never tried before, I loved it though!
Aug 12, 2016
I love how authentic this recipe is. A lot of the horchata recipes call for milk but this one has it right.
Apr 25, 2014
I love Horchata! I used it over my cereal, but I left out the lime.