Total TimePrep: 5 min. + standing Process: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups blanched almonds
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 4 cups hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- Ground cinnamon, optional
- Lime wedges, optional
- Place rice in a blender; cover and process 2-3 minutes or until very fine. Transfer to a large bowl; add almonds, cinnamon stick, lime zest and hot water. Let stand, covered, at room temperature 8 hours.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer rice mixture to a blender; cover and process 3-4 minutes or until smooth. Add sugar; process until sugar is dissolved.
- Place a strainer over a pitcher; line with double-layered cheesecloth. Pour rice mixture over cheesecloth; using a ladle, press mixture through strainer.
- Stir in cold water. Serve over ice. If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve with lime wedges.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 26, 2017
Delicious! The lime was an addition I'd never tried before, I loved it though!
Aug 12, 2016
I love how authentic this recipe is. A lot of the horchata recipes call for milk but this one has it right.
Apr 25, 2014
I love Horchata! I used it over my cereal, but I left out the lime.