- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 3 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- Combine the first nine ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year. Yield: 4 batches (about 1 cup total).
- To prepare tacos: In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add 1/4 cup taco seasoning mix and water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Fill each tortilla with 1/2 cup beef mixture. Yield: 4 servings per batch.
Reviews forHomemade Taco Seasoning Mix
"Thank you so much for this recipe. I made it today for the first time. I did not have coriander so I used cardamom. I also cut a fresh onion and diced/minced it. I'd roasted part of the pieces and allowed them to dry out and just put the balance of the minced onion in my oven-making sure to turn off the oven each time in order to dry the pieces. Anyway, it beat going to a store for dried minced onion! delowenstein, Volunteer Field Editor"
"After making this for the first time, I never bought a packaged taco seasoning again. Very good, and I know what is in it!"
"I made a batch of this immediately after seeing it posted on Facebook. I used the seasoning mix w/o the beef the first time for a fish dish...fantastic blend of flavors and very versatile."
"Love this - and no sugar as in the pre-packaged seasonings. Will keep this on hand at all times. Thank you!"
"This was great! Nice and spicy and I love the fact it makes 4 batches. Thanks!"
"Good recipe, but I think I need to tweak it for my family's taste."
"Super easy to make!"
"Staple in the cupbaord now, no package mixes. Left out some of the salt..."
"This was really good. We liked the extra little zip to it (my 6 and 8 year-olds agreed). I will be using this from now on for taco night - which we have at least twice a month."
"I cook for my elderly mother so anything with cayenne I replace with paprika with just a bit of cayenne. I always use homemade seasoning mixes now and dressings because most packaged store bought has msg or some sort of bad preservatives in them."