- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, optional
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- SAUSAGE GRAVY:
- 1 pound bulk maple pork sausage
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and, if desired, pepper. Cut in butter and shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk; stir just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times.
- Pat or roll dough to 1-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 1 in. apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Stir in remaining ingredients. Serve with warm biscuits. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forHomemade Biscuits & Maple Sausage Gravy
"Made these biscuits last night and they were delicious! I had all the ingredients on hand and the recipe was easy to follow. The best part was everyone had seconds and there were no leftovers..."