VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 ounces cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 8 cubes (about 3/4-in.)
- 1/2 pound Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 450°. In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in milk and oil just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place a pinch of oregano in the center of each biscuit; top with a cheese cube.
- Moisten edge of dough with water and pull up over cheese, forming a pouch; pinch tightly to seal. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in milk and oregano. Mix flour and water until smooth; add to sausage mixture. Bring to boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes. For each serving, spoon about 1/3 cup gravy over two biscuits. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Herbed Sausage Gravy Over Cheese Biscuits in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p14