Hearty Vegetable Beef Ragout Recipe
- 4 cups uncooked whole wheat spiral pasta
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 jar (24 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh kale
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
- 2. Stir in tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, kale, peas, garlic powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until kale is tender. Stir pasta into sauce. If desired, serve with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without cheese): 302 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 7g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Hearty Vegetable Beef Ragout
"This was definitely fast and tastey . We don't care for Kale so I used chopped broccoli instead it makes a lot so I hope it freezes well"
"We enjoyed this--I love the fact that kale can be incorporated into a meal without the family objecting. Satisfying and fairly easy to make."
"A big hit with our teenage daughters. easy to prepare and very tasty. Loved how it incorporated kale. For a recipe that's less of a ragout, omit the spaghetti sauce."
"This was very good. healthy & hearty. A great way to add kale to your meal."