- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Additional chopped macadamia nuts, toasted, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first five ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Combine egg yolks, milk and butter; stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in pineapple, coconut and nuts. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter (batter will be thick).
- Preheat waffle iron. Fill and bake according to manufacturer's directions. Serve with pineapple sauce and additional nuts if desired. Yield: 16 (4-inch) waffles.
Reviews forHawaiian Waffles
"read that hawaii is a great place-lovely greenery-there was a serial called hawaii-5-0 .I used to see some 36-38 years back-isnt hawaii the place where the Indian coral trees certain things are used to meke leis-its called parijaat in india hindi language-there is a building close to a dermatologist I visited in palakkad called parijaat buildings-am writing from palakkad-kerala-India-southern India,also have recently made a friend in hawaii-just want to say I called to say I love you-anyway wonderful recipe-thanks."
"These were so fantastic -- sweet, flavorful, easy -- thanks for such a fun alternative to regular waffles!"
"ince I already had commercially made pineapple ice cream topping in the fridge, I didn't make the topping listed, just added coconut to ours. Due to nut allergies, I subbed rice krispies for the nuts. They give a nutty flavor and crunch. I made Belgian waffles, and got 4 nice sized ones."
"These waffles were awesome! My husband loved them! I am not a fan of flaked coconut, so I substituted 1/4 cup cream of coconut instead and they were perfect!"