Ham a la King with Peas
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen puff pastry shells
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3 slices process American cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed, optional
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Bake pastry shells according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Dissolve bouillon in water. Gradually add milk and bouillon to the saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat; add the cheese, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Stir until cheese is melted. Add the ham, peas if desired, olives, pimientos and parsley; heat through. Serve in pastry shells.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 487 calories, 31g fat (12g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 1232mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 27, 2017
Amazing and delicious. Only made 2 changes. I omitted the olives and added 8 ounces of fresh mushrooms. I cooked the mushrooms in the butter before adding the flour.. So good. I make one and a half times the recipe and it easily fed 6 people - 2 of them teenagers. Enough said. I may get brave and try with the olives next time. But the mushrooms made it really good...
Dec 26, 2015
At Krogers in the frozen foods under Desserts I found the puff pastries. Have not tried this recipe yet because I wanted the ones that couldn't find the pastries help. This looks really good and will re post after I try it.
Jun 13, 2014
My gosh.... I love this recipe! My husband and grandkids always ask me to cook this again! Thank you for sharing.
Nov 11, 2013
Loved it with ham. Would be even better with chicken; I added extra peas. Very easy receipe.
Apr 2, 2013
This was a wonderful quick recipe. I adjusted it accourding to our likes. I left out the olives, added a little extra peas. I used biscuits instead of the puff pastry as I couldn't find the pastry in our store.
Apr 21, 2011
Oct 14, 2010
I have been doing that but it is not the same. I love puff pastry shells. I do the same thing with chicken. Also really good,
Oct 14, 2010
Real comfort food! For anncash, if you can't find frozen puff pastry shells, make refrigerated biscuits and pour the sauce over them.
Oct 14, 2010
I can't buy the frozen puff pastries anywhere around here, what is a person to do?