Grilled Pizza with Greens & Tomatoes
This smoky grilled pizza scores big with me for two reasons. It encourages my husband and son to eat greens, and it showcases fresh produce. —Sarah Gray, Erie, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Grill: 10 min
Makes2 pizzas (4 slices each)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 cups beet greens, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Place flours, salt and yeast in a food processor; pulse until blended. While processing, add 2 tablespoons oil and enough water in a steady stream until dough forms a ball. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into two portions. Press or roll each portion into a 10-in. circle; place each on a piece of greased foil (about 12 in. square). Brush tops with remaining oil; cover with plastic wrap and let rest 10 minutes.
- For topping, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beet greens; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds longer. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar.
- Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly. Carefully invert pizza crusts onto grill rack; remove foil. Grill, covered, over medium heat 3-5 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Turn; grill 1-2 minutes or until second side begins to brown.
- Remove from grill. Spread with pesto; top with beet greens, cheeses and tomatoes. Return pizzas to grill. Cook, covered, over medium heat 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 398 calories, 21g fat (5g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 1007mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 12g protein.
Originally published as Grilled Pizza with Beet Greens and Heirloom Tomatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.