Smoky Grilled Pizza with Greens & Tomatoes
This smoky grilled pizza scores big with me for two reasons: It encourages my husband and son to eat greens, and it showcases fresh produce. —Sarah Gray, Erie, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Grill: 10 min.
Makes2 pizzas (4 slices each)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 cups beet greens, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup prepared pesto
- 3/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Place flour, salt and yeast in a food processor; pulse until blended. While processing, add 2 tablespoons oil and enough water in a steady stream for dough to form a ball. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down dough. On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into 2 portions. Press or roll each portion into a 10-in. circle; place each on a piece of greased foil (about 12 in. square). Brush tops with remaining oil; cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- For topping, in a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beet greens; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds longer. Remove from heat; stir in vinegar.
- Carefully invert pizza crusts onto oiled grill rack; remove foil. Grill, covered, over medium heat until bottoms are lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. Turn; grill until second side begins to brown, 1-2 minutes.
- Remove from grill. Spread with pesto; top with beet greens, cheeses and tomatoes. Return pizzas to grill. Cook, covered, over medium heat until cheese is melted, 2-4 minutes. Sprinkle with basil.