Green Tomato Chowchow
My grandmom’s long-cherished chowchow has Pennsylvania Dutch roots. Her pickled relish of cabbage, onions and peppers is tart and sweet with a smidge of spice. —Sharon Tipton, Casselberry, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 3 pounds green tomatoes (about 5 medium)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1 pound onions (about 3 medium)
- 1 pound green and sweet red peppers (about 3 medium), seeded
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 2-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons mixed pickling spices
- Chop tomatoes. Transfer to a strainer and sprinkle with salt; let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, chop cabbage, onions and green and red peppers. Place in a Dutch oven. Add drained tomatoes to pan and, if desired, jalapeno.
- Stir in vinegar and sugar. Place pickling spices on a double thickness of cheesecloth. Gather corners to enclose spices; tie securely with string. Add to pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until thickened, stirring occasionally, 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Discard spice bag. Cool to room temperature; refrigerate leftovers.