Great Grain Burgers
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Cook: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked bulgur
- 1 tablespoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 12 sandwich rolls
- Optional toppings: watercress and tomato, red onion and avocado slices
- Place first five ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove to a bowl; cool slightly. Refrigerate, covered, until cold.
- Place egg substitute and cottage cheese in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in mushrooms, oats, onion, parsley and seasonings. Add mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese and rice mixture; mix well. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours or overnight before shaping.
- Shape 1/2 cups of mixture into patties, pressing to adhere. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium heat; cook four patties until lightly browned, about 5 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining patties and oil. Serve on rolls with toppings as desired.
Editor's NoteLook for quinoa in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 335 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 14g protein.
Jul 10, 2013
These are great. I did change a few things either I didn't have it and substituted it with something else or I wanted to make it a bit lower in fat. I added a 1/4 cup of red lentils to the rice and bulgur mixture. I did not have mushrooms so I added shredded zuchinni and carrot. I did not add the mozzarella or cheddar. I had a half of can of tomato paste or I mixed that with the egg whites instead of the cottage cheese. I also did not add the celery seed. After making the patties I refrigerated until I was ready to grilled on the grill. These held up fantastic, did not break apart while I was flipping over several times. The taste is great but I only got 9 burgers. I also too patted the mixture tightly into a 1/2 measuring cup and firmly patted them into shape. I will definitely be making these over and over. Thanks so much for a great recipe.
Nov 23, 2010
I love this recipe, but have a problem keeping the burgers from falling apart. Any suggestions?
Nov 18, 2009
I've tried many recipes for vegetarian burgers; this is the best one yet. Press mixture firmly into patties so they don't fall apart when browning.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.