- 1 egg white
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 catfish fillets (8 ounces each)
- Canola oil
- Lemon or lime wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, beat the egg white until foamy; add milk and mix well. In another shallow bowl, combine the cornmeal, salt, garlic powder, cayenne and pepper. Dip fillets in milk mixture, then coat with cornmeal mixture.
- Heat 1/4 in of oil in a large skillet; fry fish over medium-high for 3-4 minutes on each side or until it flakes easily with a fork. Garnish with lemon or lime if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forGolden Catfish Fillets
"Had a friend give us some fresh crappie, so I used that instead of catfish but the coating turned out great, , crispy and delicious!"
"This is an excellent way to prepare catfish. I actually eliminate the egg white and just let the filets soak in milk in the refrigerator for about 45 minutes, then coat them with the cornmeal and seasonings. Letting the coated filets rest for ten minutes on wax paper or a baking rack before frying helps the coating adhere much better than the egg white. The seasoning mixture is perfect and truly compliments the flavor of the fish rather than covering it up. So easy, and so tasty!"
"Love this recipe. I use the larger amount of pepper. Tastes awesome on a nice light bun with cheese and lettuce."