- 1-1/2 pounds thick-sliced bacon strips, finely chopped
- 8 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but 2 tablespoons drippings. Add shallots and onion to the drippings; cook over medium heat until caramelized, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add seasonings. Remove from heat; stir in whiskey and maple syrup. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil, and cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add vinegar and brown sugar; cook another 3 minutes, continuing to stir constantly.
- Add crumbled bacon; reduce heat to low, and cook 12 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Allow jam to cool slightly. Pulse half of the jam in a food processor until smooth; stir puree into remaining jam. Serve with assorted crackers. Yield: 3 cups.
Reviews forGentleman's Whiskey Bacon Jam
"Definitely a winner in my house. I made a batch of it for a party and served it as an appetizer with some crackers and slices of brie cheese. I took the leftovers and put them on a grilled chicken sandwich for dinner a few nights later. I froze the rest and will try it in a few weeks. Very delicious."
"How is this stored and how long does it keep?"
"I was intrigued by this dish and thought it was OK. Most people reacted with a "wow, this is different" but didn't go back for more. I served it over a block of soften cream cheese with crackers. Probably won't make it again but it was fun to try."