Garlic and Herb Roasted Turkey
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 3-3/4 hours + standing
Makes14 servings (2 cups gravy)
- 1 turkey (14 to 16 pounds)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon each minced fresh rosemary, tarragon and thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon each lemon-pepper seasoning, cayenne pepper, chili powder and paprika
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 medium orange, cut into wedges
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pat turkey dry. Combine the seasonings and garlic; rub over the outside and inside of turkey. Place lemon and orange wedges in cavity. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake at 325° for 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly. Remove turkey to a serving platter; Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour pan drippings and loosened brown bits into a measuring cup. Skim fat, reserving 2 tablespoons. Add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, combine flour and fat until smooth. Gradually stir in drippings. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.
Nutrition Facts8 ounce-weight: 541 calories, 24g fat (7g saturated fat), 245mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 73g protein.
Oct 31, 2017
I am thinking on doing this for Thanksgiving but without Cayenne or chili spice? Also does anyone have a suggesting when to put the stuffing in?
Dec 10, 2013
It was ok... just wasn't crazy about the combination of seasonings.
Dec 1, 2013
My first turkey and it was a hit. Juicy and yummy, did not even need gravy. I was already asked to make it again next year!
Nov 22, 2012
This is absolutely delicious. When we took it out of our oven, the meat was falling away from the bones. It did brown a little quickly though. We covered it after about 3 hours of cooking.
Nov 3, 2012
i make like this every year but loosen the skin on the bird and rub mixture of herbs and butter underneath. then put crushed garlic cloves whole fresh herbs and onion wedges inside birds cavity. the smell while cooking is heavenly lt. and the broth and gravy from this makes the best soup Mmmm i make it this year every year :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.