- 2 pounds eggplant, peeled
- 5 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup dry Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-in. thick slices; sprinkle both sides with 3 teaspoons salt. Place in a deep dish; cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water; drain and dry on paper towels.
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-in. cubes; saute in oil until lightly browned. Add onions, garlic and zucchini; cook 3 minutes. Add tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, pepper and remaining salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in Romano cheese. Pour into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forGarden Casserole
"Second time I've made this. Added half a green and red pepper to it; made my own bread crumbs to reduce salt; only used 2 TBSP olive oil and instead of mozz I used asiago and gruyere cheeses for more vibrant flavor. It's GREAT. my mother in law is living with us after having a stroke and creative ways to serve veggies so her diet is balanced is a challenge."