Fresh Tomato Pasta Toss
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 pounds ripe fresh tomatoes
- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked penne pasta
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
- To remove peels from tomatoes, fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30 seconds. Immediately plunge in ice water. Peel skins with a sharp paring knife and discard. Chop pulp; set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, cook garlic in oil over medium heat for 1 minute or until tender. Add the parsley, basil, oregano, salt, sugar, pepper and reserved tomato pulp. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Add cream; heat through.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a serving bowl. Pour tomato sauce over pasta; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 288 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Sep 2, 2014
This recipe was delicious and so easy to put together. We used the angel hair wheat pasta and it was fabulous...flavors are subtle making you want more and more. A very nice meatless dish.
Mar 16, 2014
This is one of my favorite pasta recipes. We use canned tomatoes for convenience then leave out the added sugar. It is light and refreshing. Definitely need to make it again.
Sep 19, 2011
This is delicious. I make fresh pasta for it & I look forward every year to fresh tomatoes so we can have this.
Jul 3, 2011
this is one of my favorite recipes. it's simple and fresh tasting