Basil & Heirloom Tomato Toss
I came up with this garden-fresh salad to showcase the heirloom tomatoes and peppers we raised for our stall at the farmers market. Try out other types of basil like lemon, lime, licorice and cinnamon. —Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep/Total Time:15 min.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium sweet yellow pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- In a large bowl, whisk the first seven ingredients until blended. Add remaining ingredients; toss gently to combine.