Fontina Potatoes Au Gratin
We use a white sauce and mild fontina cheese to coat sliced potatoes in this casserole for two. It's rich and delicious!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup milk
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 3-cup baking dish, layer half of the potatoes, fontina cheese, white sauce and chives. Top with remaining potatoes, fontina, sauce and chives.
- Cover and bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 357 calories, 19g fat (12g saturated fat), 57mg cholesterol, 859mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Potatoes Au Gratin with Chives & Fontina in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2008