Fontina Asparagus Tart
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, bring 1 in. of water to a boil; add asparagus. Cook, covered, until crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry sheet into a 16x12-in. rectangle. Transfer to a parchment-lined large baking sheet. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle 1-1/2 cups cheese over pastry to within 1/2-in. of edges. Place asparagus over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Mix remaining ingredients; drizzle over top. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 142 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 26, 2019
Overall taste is good. I would cut down a little on the lemon (I used fresh squeezed). It was more of a lemon tart with asparagus than an asparagus tart with lemon. Also, my grocery only sold "phyllo sheets" and not "puff pastry" and someone tried to convince me they were the same (novice mistake!) What I ended up with was tasty but definitely difficult to eat. Perhaps I'll try again with a different grocery and a little less lemon.
Jul 7, 2019
Wonderful! I substituted lime juice and zest for the lemon and added some garlic to the dressing. Thank you, Heidi, for this delicious recipe.
Mar 4, 2019
Puff pastry puffed up like a pillow! The pastry was gooey inside. Wouldn’t hold the asparagus. Had to toss it out. Waste of time and money.
Nov 13, 2018
This recipe is easy
May 25, 2017
We used this as our main meal with no other sides. It was the best asparagus dish ever. We also had leftovers so we had two meals. It was just as wonderful the second time around. Did not change a thing . Great recipe!
Apr 24, 2016
Made this exactly as shown, except that I made a border on the pastry with a paring knife and docked the center. Makes for a nice border. What a delicious recipe! The lemon and oil over really brings the flavours together. Looking forward to eating the leftovers!
Feb 28, 2015
This was delicious. Loved the lemon flavour. Something different to serve, yet easy to make.
Oct 11, 2013
Best asparagus recipe out there if I do say so myself! Perfect for a crowd or even 1 or 2! Every last crumb is gobbled up no matter how many people. I wish my name was below the recipe since I am the winner/creator of it but oh well! I am glad so many people get to enjoy this recipe, it came from my heart.
Apr 20, 2012
I've made this a new times now - it's absolutely delicious! Since good Fontina cheese is somewhat pricey, the second time I made this, I used one-half Fontina cheese and one-half Havarti cheese (which I also love and it's a very creamy, rich cheese as well). My kids love this too!
Oct 1, 2010
going to make it again !! This is so simple. never makes enough no matter how many I make. leaves my family ad friends wanting more