Hearty Asparagus Pie
This hearty quiche is as attractive as it is flavorful! It looks complicated to make but is actually a simple recipe. The secret is the crust - it's refrigerated pizza dough that I season with basil and Parmesan cheese. But the asparagus spokes are what make this pie special for the holidays. It almost seems too nice to cut, but we're always glad we did when we taste a slice.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1/4 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 package (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 3 bacon strips, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Toss with oil; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese and basil; sprinkle half over work surface. Place pizza dough on surface; roll into a 12-in. circle. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan mixture; gently press into dough with a rolling pin. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Press dough onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of pan.
- Line unpricked dough with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and nutmeg. Stir in onion and reserved bacon. Toss the Swiss cheese and flour; stir into egg mixture. Pour into the crust. Arrange asparagus in a spoke-like pattern on top.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan. Cut into wedges.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Asparagus Quiche in Country Woman Christmas 2006