Asparagus in Puff Pastry
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups water
- 24 fresh asparagus spears (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- In a large nonstick skillet, bring water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain asparagus and immediately place in ice water; drain and pat dry. In a bowl, beat cream cheese and salt until smooth; set aside.
- Unfold the dough on a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet in half widthwise. For each rectangle, spread cream cheese mixture lengthwise over half of the dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Arrange two rows of three asparagus spears lengthwise in a single layer over cream cheese.
- Brush edges of dough with some of the egg substitute; fold dough over filling and press edges together to seal. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut widthwise into 1-1/4-in. pieces. Place 1 in. apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush with remaining egg substitute. Bake at 425° for 8-12 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 87 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 156mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 4, 2013
This recipe is perfect for a party! My fiance and I had a contest to see whose appetizer would be eaten/finished first. He made fried ravioli and I still won! :) I did modify the reciple slightly. Instead of boiling the asparagus first I dipped them in the eggwash and then panko breadcrumbs and flash fried them. Then I also put a very thin layer of procuitto on the puff pastry on top of the cream cheese. Other than that I followed the recipe exactly. These are delicious!!!!!
Mar 6, 2012
I had these at a friends house & the plate was wiped clean the 2x around. These are the BEST!!! Everyone was talking about them after the meal. I've told many of my friends about these, & plan to make them soon. Asparagus is great but with the added cream cheese......yummm!!!!!!
Jan 2, 2012
Bland.Based on the stellar reviews, I was really looking forward to making this for the first time for Christmas Eve. My guests and I thought the result was utterly bland. They were so bland that we didn't even cook the second batch. The cream cheese overpowers the asparagus, so what comes through is warm cream cheese in a puff. Not sure how it had so many good reviews.May try it again, but add something else, maybe ham, or flavor the cream cheese w/ chive or something. My suggestion is test this on yourself before making for guests.
Mar 27, 2011
I had an extra pie crust and asparagus that needed to be used, so I whipped this up on a whim. I seasoned the cream cheese with salt, freshly ground black pepper and a splash of lemon juice. I kept the pie crust round and simply cut the asparagus spears to size to fit in a half circle. Between 6 of us it was devoured in minutes. Simple to make but somehow decadent! Loved it!
Feb 27, 2011
I make this for most of my parties. It is a favorite that others ask for again and again!
Sep 7, 2008
can I freeze these un baked and cook later? or bake them and then freeze?