Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry
I just love to have a nice, quiet, romantic Valentine's Day dinner at home with my wonderful husband. This is what I make us every year. It's gorgeous, very easy and is so much nicer than eating out.—Kelly Williams, Forked River, New Jersey
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 slices Muenster cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Place steaks on an ungreased baking sheet. Sprinkle with pepper; top with butter. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Cool slightly; refrigerate until chilled.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll puff pastry into a 14x9-1/2-in. rectangle. Cut out two 7-in. squares, reserving scraps.
- Rub steaks with garlic and top with cheese; place steaks, cheese side down, in the center of each pastry square. Lightly brush pastry edges with egg. Bring opposite corners of pastry over steaks; pinch seams to seal tightly. Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Cut small slits in top of pastry; brush with egg.
- Using lightly floured small cookie cutters, cut out shapes from reserved pastry. Arrange over wrapped steaks; brush shapes with egg.
- Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Serve with steaks.
Nutrition Facts1 pastry-wrapped steak with 1 tablespoon sauce: 1135 calories, 70g fat (24g saturated fat), 230mg cholesterol, 673mg sodium, 72g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 9g fiber), 54g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Filet De Boeuf En Croute (Filet Mignon in Puff Pastry) in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011