Southern Brunch Pastry Puff
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 7 large eggs, divided use
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, butter, pesto, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and red pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and red pepper is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk six eggs and the remaining salt and pepper until blended. Return sausage to skillet. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.
- Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto a 12x10-in. sheet of parchment. Spread grits to within 1/2 in. of edges. Spoon sausage mixture over half of grits on each pastry. Fold pastries over sausage mixture to enclose; press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; brush over pastries. If desired, top with additional ground pepper. Bake until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut each pastry into four pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 587 calories, 39g fat (14g saturated fat), 208mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 21, 2019
These were pretty easy to make and very good. Not a fan of grits so I left them out and the recipe still turned out well.
Oct 31, 2018
We love this recipe! We subbed the pastry puff for 2 crescent dough sheets and made it all one big dish. Always leftovers to look forward to.
May 1, 2016
There's a lot of tasty flavors in here! I especially thought the grits with the puff pastry was interesting and yummy.