Southern Brunch Pastry Puff
My family just about jumps out of bed when the smell of eggs, sausage and buttery pastry hits their noses. This recipe is morning magic. —Misty Michelle Leddick, Chester, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1/2 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 7 large eggs, divided use
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, about 5 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese, butter, pesto, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until blended.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and red pepper over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and red pepper is tender, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a small bowl, whisk six eggs and the remaining salt and pepper until blended. Return sausage to skillet. Pour in egg mixture; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.
- Unfold each puff pastry sheet onto a 12x10-in. sheet of parchment paper. Spread grits to within 1/2 in. of edges. Spoon sausage mixture over half of grits on each pastry. Fold pastries over sausage mixture to enclose; press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk remaining egg and water; brush over pastries. If desired, top with additional ground pepper. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut each pastry into four pieces.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 587 calories, 39g fat (14g saturated fat), 208mg cholesterol, 766mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 5g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as All-In-One Puff Pastry Southern Brunch/Breakfast in Taste of Home April/May 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.