Herbed Beef Stew with Puff Pastry
Guests will be so surprised by the taste of this special dish. Puff pastry makes this dish seem fancy so I serve it to guests all the time.—Sara Martin, Brookfield, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 30 min.
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 to 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced celery (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon each dried parsley flakes, thyme and marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 to 2 packages (17.3 ounces each) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a Dutch oven, brown the beef in oil; drain. Stir in the carrots, potatoes, celery, onion, garlic, broth, tomatoes and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is almost tender. Discard bay leaves. Stir in squash and tapioca; return to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface, roll out puff pastry to 1/4-in. thickness. Using a 10-oz. ramekin for a pattern, cut out six pastry circles 1 in. larger than the diameter of the ramekin.
- Fill six greased 10-oz. ramekins with beef mixture; top each with a pastry circle. Seal pastry to edges of ramekins; cut slits in each pastry. If desired, use the pastry scraps to cut out 30 strips. Twist strips; place five strips on each ramekin. Pinch edges to seal. Combine egg yolk and cream; brush over tops.
- Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 657 calories, 35g fat (10g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 1194mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 9g fiber), 25g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.