Flourless Chocolate Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Ganache, optional
- 1/4 cup finely ground pecans, toasted
- Sliced strawberries and fresh mint, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter, 1/4 cup sugar and chocolates over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool until mixture is lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in pecans and chocolate mixture.
- In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir a small amount of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan and cool completely. Frost with Chocolate Ganache if desired. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 138 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 9, 2017
To other viewer. The ground pecans go in the cake. It is in the directions, the ingredients are just out of order. Click on the words choc ganache and it will link you to that recipe
Mar 13, 2016
Where is the amount of chocolate for the choc. ganache? It only gives the ground pecans, toasted & the optional of sliced strawberries & fresh mint! Thanks, [email protected]
Sep 21, 2014
to sherrygm: 11g fat = 99cals, 8g carbs = 32cals, 2g pro = 8cals total = 139 calories. The math is correct. (fat =9 calories/gram, protein and carbs =4 calories/gram)
Apr 22, 2014
Haven't actually made this recipe yet, but it looks delicious so I'll give it four stars! I'm just wondering how it can have only eight carbs (according to the nutritional value at the bottom.) I've checked the carb info for all the ingredients listed and it just doesn't add up. Perhaps it's a misprint. Anyone have any ideas?
Dec 11, 2013
I have made this cake many times, always with rave reviews. It is a great choice for those friends with wheat allergies, or not. I did make it with the chocolate ganache and topped it with a bit of homemade whipped cream and a fan-cut strawberry. It definitely has a gourmet look and taste.
Nov 14, 2013
I forgot the unsweet choc. but it didn't need it. It could have been a little sweeter. I liked the light fluffy chocolaty taste. It was not pretty, cracked and flat. My son is gluten free. I made a choc/confectioners sugar frosting that was very sweet and fluffy and that made it sweet enough. I made this cake again tonight using 3 oz semisweet & 3 oz bittersweet chocolate and about 2 tablespoons more sugar. This cake tastes delicious, very chocolaty-I could eat the whole thing. Thank you for a great tasting but still flatish & cracked cake recipe.
Feb 16, 2010
This was a great recipe and my first experience at making a flourless cake. I think I overcooked it at 40 min. so next time I will cut back on the cooking time. My family raved about it and my oldest daughter said she felt like she was eating dessert at a gourmet restaurant. I made the chocolate Ganache to top it with and placed raspberries on top just to look pretty. I used the rest of the pint of raspberries to make a light sauce to drizzle over the plates. This will definitely be served again at my house.
Jun 19, 2009
I have made this cake several times and it is now my Madie's fav. Each time it seems to turn out better and better. I have no idea what is up with that. It is to die for!
May 14, 2009
definitely will bake this cake