Flourless Chocolate Torte
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 5 large eggs, room temperature,separated
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over barely simmering water, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- In another large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in chocolate mixture. With clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Loosen sides from pan with a knife. Remove rim from pan. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 326 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 30, 2020
Overall this was a great recipe! I did bake in a water bath, because I’ve always done Tortes, and cheesecakes that way. We really enjoyed this!
Feb 26, 2018
The recipe said to bake 40-45 mins. and not to overbake. I baked it for only 35 minutes, but it came out overcooked. Needed to be a little sweeter, too.
Feb 2, 2018
I enjoyed this cake. It was most and had excellent flavor. My husband didn't care for it as much as I did, because he likes a lighter-textured cake. However, I thought it was delicious. I think it's best served with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream to help balance out the very chocolate-y flavor of the cake.
Feb 17, 2016
This recipe went together easier than I first thought it would, and came out perfect! Great chocolate flavor plus it was very moist and not too heavy. I dusted with powdered sugar and put a dollop of real whipped cream on top- loved it!
Dec 27, 2015
I made this dairy free by substituting coconut oil for the butter and it was fabulous.
Aug 1, 2015
Loved this cake! I was hesitant to try it as I've never made a cake without flour before. Came out very nice, with a smooth texture and great flavor. Definitely will make again.