Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add the raisin mixture. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve with Hard Sauce (also found in Recipe Finder) if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 23, 2010
Waiting for my husband to start his new job, we were short on eggs, and butter! I gave this a try and he loved it! I was surprised!
Mar 20, 2009
I child care and the children love the cookbook coloring pages along with having the opportunity to make these recipes. Elaine T.