Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add the raisin mixture. Pour into a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve with Hard Sauce (also found in Recipe Finder) if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 277 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 295mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 23, 2010
Waiting for my husband to start his new job, we were short on eggs, and butter! I gave this a try and he loved it! I was surprised!
Mar 20, 2009
I child care and the children love the cookbook coloring pages along with having the opportunity to make these recipes. Elaine T.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.