Sugarless Spice Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons liquid artificial sweetener
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a saucepan, cook raisins in water until water has evaporated. Add the applesauce, eggs, sweetener and oil; mix well. Blend in baking soda and flour. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. Pour into a greased 8-in. square. baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Garnish with whipped cream if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 181 calories, 9g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 18mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 11, 2018
Can’t recommend. I made the mistake of trusting the rating and not my judgement after reading the recipe. I must suggest looking for a more current recipe with one of the newer and much improved sugar substitutes. I regretfully can not say anything good about the cake, it was a waste of ingredients.
Feb 13, 2014
I have made this cake for years, ever since my Dad found out he had diabetes. I made it per the original recipe with 1 cup raisins and 1 cup mixed diced dried fruit cooked in 2 cups water. This was my Dad's favorite cake. I recently made it for a group, many who had diabetes, and it was an instant hit and completely devoured. Do watch carefully when baking as you do not want to overbake it. I made it in a Bundt pan. Definitely a five star recipe.