Fisherman’s Crispy Coating
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal, crushed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 4 walleye or other whitefish fillets (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- Oil for frying
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and milk. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the cereal, flour, cornmeal and seasonings. Dip the fish fillets into egg mixture, then coat with cereal mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. of oil over medium-high heat. Fry the fillets for 5-7 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
Jun 27, 2017
I love this versatile coating. Love the lemon pepper in it.
Jan 13, 2016
I really enjoyed this coating on my trout last night. I usually don't fry things but must have done something right as it didn't come out a bit greasy. Made it gluten free by using brown rice flour (along with brown rice krispies). I will definitely make this again and may try a baked version soon. Thanks bunches Tammi!
May 30, 2012
A simple, good coating for any fish. Easy to tailor to individual tastes (I added cayenne pepper instead of lemon-pepper).
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.