I intended to make tostadas, but I misread a couple of ingredients and had to use what I had on hand. I put my own twist on a po'boy recipe and ended up with something even better. —Cynthia Nelson, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seafood cocktail sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp (26-30 per pound), peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 8 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Combine mayonnaise, cocktail sauce and wing sauce; set aside. In another bowl, mash avocado and lime juice until combined; set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, mix flour, cornmeal and Creole seasoning. Add shrimp, a few pieces at a time, and turn to coat; shake off excess. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp turn pink, 4-6 minutes.
- Spread avocado mixture over tortillas. Top with shrimp, mayonnaise mixture, tomato and cilantro.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts2 tacos: 551 calories, 29g fat (5g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 977mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 5g fiber), 25g protein.
Originally published as Po-Boy Tacos with Avocado in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018