Filipino Adobo Aromatic Chicken
This saucy chicken packs a wallop of flavor—salty, sweet, sour, slightly spicy and even a little umami. It can be made on the stove, too. Any way I make it, I think it tastes even better the next day served over warm rice. —Loanne Chiu, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours 20 min.
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium limes
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Minced fresh cilantro and toasted sesame seeds
- Hot cooked rice
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan. Brown chicken in bacon drippings in batches. Transfer chicken to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion to the same pan; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Finely grate enough zest from limes to measure 2 teaspoons. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes.
- Add the lime juice and zest, sherry, soy sauce, molasses, ginger, bay leaves, pepper and chili sauce to pan; cook and stir to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on high until a thermometer reads 170°, about 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken; keep warm. If desired, slightly thicken juices by cooking in a saucepan over medium-high heat about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in bacon. Pour over chicken; sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve with rice and, if desired, lime wedges.
Nutrition Facts6 ounces cooked chicken with 1/4 cup sauce: 474 calories, 23g fat (7g saturated fat), 164mg cholesterol, 865mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 47g protein.
Originally published as FILIPINO ADOBO AROMATIC CHICKEN in Taste of Home September/October 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.