Filipino Adobo Aromatic Chicken
This saucy chicken packs a wallop of flavor—salty, sweet, sour, slightly spicy and even a little umami. It can be made on the stove, too. Any way I make it, I think it tastes even better the next day served over warm rice. —Loanne Chiu, Fort Worth, Texas
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 3 hours 20 min.
- 8 bacon strips, chopped
- 3 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium limes
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- Minced fresh cilantro and toasted sesame seeds
- Hot cooked rice
- Lime wedges, optional
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan. Brown chicken in bacon drippings in batches. Transfer chicken to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add onion to the same pan; cook and stir until tender, 3-5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Finely grate enough zest from limes to measure 2 teaspoons. Cut limes crosswise in half; squeeze juice from limes.
- Add the lime juice and zest, sherry, soy sauce, molasses, ginger, bay leaves, pepper and chili sauce to pan; cook and stir to loosen browned bits. Pour over chicken. Cook, covered, on high until a thermometer reads 170°, 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken; shred meat with two forks, keep warm. If desired, slightly thicken juices by cooking in a saucepan over medium-high heat about 20 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in bacon. Pour over chicken; sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds. Serve with rice and, if desired, lime wedges.