Filipino Chicken Adobo
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 whole garlic bulb, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Combine the first six ingredients. Add chicken; refrigerate, covered, 20-30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Pat chicken dry.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Stir in water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink and sauce is slightly reduced, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve chicken with cooking sauce.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 234 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1315mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein.
Dec 21, 2019
Chicken was raw in the center and flavor was flat.
Oct 10, 2019
This is a great recipe, but I find that using Braggs apple cider vinegar is much better, and better for you.
Oct 5, 2019
I like to try something different and I had seen this on a travel show but I didnt get the measurements. I made your recipe and held my breath cause my husband is a fuss pot. He loved it, even the cat had a few pieces and she's a fuss pot too! Thank you!
Aug 8, 2019
Was great almost like my moms but was all done before the end of the night!!
May 2, 2019
This is an easy and delicious recipe. I let the chicken marinate for an hour before browning. I have made this twice now and it has come out wonderful both times. Guaranteed winner and I recommend saving and using this recipe often.
Jan 3, 2019
This is the same recipe that came from a Filipino neighbor when I was in my teens, Make a double batch or you'll be sorry. My only tweak was to swap out the water for unsweetened pineapple juice. When I would walk in the house and smell my mom cooking this, I knew dinner was going to be 5 stars.
Dec 12, 2018
Very tasty! I had never tried anything like this before and thought it was good!
Dec 9, 2018
I made it and it was delish. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)
Jul 16, 2018
next time i will do more chicken, for the next day. and i think i will add more garlic....i really love garlic.
Jun 25, 2018
Let it marinade at least an hour 24 I think would be best.