Filipino Chicken Adobo
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 whole garlic bulb, smashed and peeled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- Combine the first six ingredients. Add chicken; refrigerate, covered, 20-30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Pat chicken dry.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Stir in water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink and sauce is slightly reduced, 20-25 minutes. If desired, serve chicken with cooking sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 234 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 1315mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 3, 2019
This is the same recipe that came from a Filipino neighbor when I was in my teens, Make a double batch or you'll be sorry. My only tweak was to swap out the water for unsweetened pineapple juice. When I would walk in the house and smell my mom cooking this, I knew dinner was going to be 5 stars.
Dec 12, 2018
Very tasty! I had never tried anything like this before and thought it was good!
Dec 9, 2018
I made it and it was delish. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)
Jul 16, 2018
next time i will do more chicken, for the next day. and i think i will add more garlic....i really love garlic.
Jun 25, 2018
Let it marinade at least an hour 24 I think would be best.
Jun 19, 2018
You are right ...it is better the next day if thereis any left for the next day!
Jun 7, 2018
I tray to be versatile on my cooking so I made this tonight. My family and I were not that impressed sadly. Too much vinegar. Don't believe this one will be marked again
May 15, 2018
A new family favorite! We made it with boneless skinless thighs, and it was delicious. Love all the garlic and vinegar. Thank you for sharing!
Mar 30, 2018
This was very GOOD. It is going into my recipe book.
Mar 29, 2018
This is one of my favorite chicken recipes. I was given the recipe by my neighbor, who got it from her Filipino grandmother. We serve it with sticky rice, and yes, it is even better the next day!