Fennel-Potato Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and fennel; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 218 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 4, 2014
I only had half a fennel bulb to use, but this is really good. I will definitely make it again!
May 11, 2010
We loved it, and it was the first time I found out what fennel was...yummy!!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.