Fennel-Potato Au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours
- 9 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 medium fennel bulbs, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a greased shallow 3-qt. baking dish, combine the potatoes and fennel; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add the broth, cream, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over potato mixture; gently toss to coat.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 218 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 423mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 14, 2019
Very good. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8x8" casserole dish.
Nov 4, 2014
I only had half a fennel bulb to use, but this is really good. I will definitely make it again!
May 11, 2010
We loved it, and it was the first time I found out what fennel was...yummy!!!!